Juls WFA Blog
This morning started out a little strange. I got up at 2am and there was a lightning show going on over on the Canadian side of the lake. I made a cup of coffee, made the cats their wet food....grabbed my phone and Dexter, and went out on the back deck to check out the storm on the other side of the lake.
This morning, was Mark and Patty's 13th wedding anniversary, so I was happy to see it was going to be a nice day for their special day. The air temps were supposed to be a little cooler than it has been, but the humidity was still up.
I met my crew at Mazurik's at 5:15 and headed north out of the launch at 5:30. It was a warm and humid morning, after yesterday's storms, with a partly cloudy sky. The air temp was near 70 degrees. The wind forecast was calling for very light winds out of the SW, so the lake was pleasantly flat on our ride out.
Yesterday, was the first of a 5 day trip for Mark and Patty Leucht, who flew in from Wyoming Saturday night. They will be taking Tuesday off to do some sight seeing, and will be fishing Wednesday through Friday with me, while I take another crew out tomorrow.
The morning was a repeat of yesterday morning, so no need to bore you with that opening again...;)
Left the house at 4am, hit the gas station for some gas and ice, and headed to Catawba State Park to get things ready before my crew showed up.
Just wanted to let my readers know that I will not be out the rest of this week. I had a 4-Day trip scheduled with a couple of my regular Wisco guys, and the winds are gong to be less than ideal for these two gents. They might have gotten two days in, but they opted to reschedule to July, so they can try to get 4 full days in.
TUESDAY NIGHT Southwest winds 10 to 15 knots increasing to 15 to 20 knots. A chance of showers and thunderstorms overnight. Waves 1 to 3 feet. WEDNESDAY Southwest winds 15 to 20 knots becoming west 10 to 15 knots. A chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning, then showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. Waves 1 to 3 feet. WEDNESDAY NIGHT West winds 10 to 15 knots becoming northeast. A chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Waves 1 to 3 feet. THURSDAY Northeast winds 5 to 15 knots increasing to 15 to 20 knots. Showers likely Thursday night. Waves 1 to 3 feet building to 3 to 6 feet. FRIDAY East winds 15 to 25 knots becoming northeast. Showers likely during the day. Waves 3 to 6 feet building to 4 to 7 feet, then subsiding to 3 to 6 feet. Waves occasionally around 9 feet.Saturday's trip has been rescheduled by my customer's request. He is in the process of buying a boat, and Saturday is the only day he and his wife can go get it. I will not be trying to fill the date, due to the fact that Saturday on Memorial Day Weekend is a zoo out there with all the weekenders getting their boats in the water for the first time, and running around. The bad part is, they usually don't know there are "Rules of the Road", that need to be followed....for the safety of everyone out there. Everyone who owns a boat should learn at least the basics of who has the "Right of Way". (End Rant)
I went to bed at 5:30 yesterday, and turned the TV off at 6:30, and set the alarm for 2:30. That was the plan anyway, but I ended up waking up at 1:45, and was fully awake, so......I got up. I did the usual routine, that most of you that read my blog regularly will know already. For those that are new here, it usually involves topping off the gas tank in the boat and icing up the cooler for the day's adventure.
I woke at 2:30 this morning, and figured since it was so close to my 3am alarm, that I would just get up and have some extra time for that second cup of coffee.
I had an unexpected day off yesterday, when my customer forgot that he had a trip scheduled for the 19th, so I rescheduled him to August instead.
I woke up a little before 3am, before the alarm went off, so I got up and made some coffee. Dexter and I, went out to the back deck to check out the morning's weather. Dexter smelled something that he couldn't see, in the damp morning air, so he took off running to the back fence, to act all big and scary to any would be intruders. All critters now had fair warning that he would kill them if they came inside the fence. While he tended to his morning business, I sipped coffee and looked at my weather apps.
This morning, my crew had one change up. Ty stayed on shore to take his Mom to breakfast, and his Dad Jeff took his place in the boat today.
Launched at 5:15 this morning and headed north out of Catawba. Our first spot was really good, until the flotilla of boats started showing up around 6am. Then, we just tried to stay on one small pod of active fish by turning on them over and over, while dodging boats.
What started as a three-day trip turned into a two-day trip with a blow day in-between both trips.
It was raining this morning, when I woke up and let the dog out. I looked at the weather apps to see what was in store for us, and found the rain would be clearing out by 7am. I had told my Indiana crew that we would delay the trip for one hour, so instead of meeting them at 5:30, I would meet them at 6:30 instead.
Met my crew at Mazurik's at 6:15, and we headed out just in time to watch the flaming orange ball rise up over the horizon. It was a clear sky this morning, temps were in the high 40s to low 50s, and the wind was light out of the east.
My trip today, tomorrow, and Monday have been rescheduled...and, Tuesday was a scheduled off day, so I won't be back out until Wednesday this week....winds permitting.
Same crew different day:
Yesterday, my crew went with Capt Bobby Greene, of "Meals on Reelz Charters", and had a very fast and fun morning with him over in Vermilion. The pressure was on me, since I was going to be taking them out of Port Clinton this morning.
I had made the decision last night to meet my crew at Mazurik's at 7am, because the wind forecast showed it was going to start laying down at 7am, but when I woke up at 3am, it showed it had laid down overnight. I didn't want to text Bill that early, to have them show up earlier, because they were driving in from Toledo, which is an hour away, and he was bringing the "boys" (young adults), so I figured it would probably be hard to get them up earlier. lol