Fishing with Mark and David Senter 5/13/2020 : Juls WFA Blog
 Call Capt Juls: 419-835-7347
Juls Walleye Fishing Adventures
Lake Erie Walleye-Perch Fishing Charters-Running 7 days a week!
HomeYour CaptainRatesWeatherPhotosRecipesContact BlogVideosReviews
6-Pack Charters & Hotels

Insert text here.

Fishing with Mark and David Senter 5/13/2020

by Capt Juls on 05/13/20

Today, was my first paying trip since we got locked down by the state back in early April. When I woke up this morning, I thought I would be tired, but as soon as I realized what day it was, my adrenaline popped me right up out of bed.  I didn't even need any coffee this morning either, which is unusual. 

I was meeting my Father and Son duo at Catawba at 6am.  I threw some of that Wisconsin Venison sausage that customer, Chris Utter, brings down every spring, along with some crackers, and water into the cooler, and headed to the gas station to gas up. I was disappointed that the Speedway has changed their hours due to this virus situation, because they aren't open early enough for a gal like me. lol So, I had to go a bit out of the way to go gas up someplace else and grab some ice. Oh is what it is, right?

I got to Catawba at 5:20...a little early, because I wanted to check the lines for nicks or kinks, and cut some off if needed. I also wanted to change up some Bandit colors on the 6 rods.  I chose Glare, Green Clown, Chrome Barbie, RC Crush, Chart Wonderbread, and Sunspot to start with. It basically covers all of the color spectra. 

Mark and David showed up at the ramp about the time I did, but because it was dark, they didn't realize it was me. Mark sent me a text to let me know they were in the parking lot, and since there was only me and one other boat in the big parking lot, and two cars in the side lot parking, it was easy to find them.  We launched at 6.

I asked, "So, have either of you ever used Off Shore inline planer boards before?" David said, "No...never have". As I watched Mark arrive on the dock to jump in, I said, "Okay, I'll show you  how then."

I was a little worried about the way they were dressed for a chilly morning on a lake that's only 48-49 degrees right now, and asked about it, but they said they would be fine, so off we went.

We headed over to the Clinton Reef area to check it out first. I figured if the fish were there, they wouldn't get as cold as if we headed out in the more unprotected areas of the open water with an east wind.  

We set the Bandits out 45 on the outside board, 35 on the middle board, and 25 on the inside board and ran a speed, up and down from 1.6-1.9mph. The Helix was marking fish from time to time,  but they weren't stacked up in there like it can from time to time, so we left. We headed up to the Green Island area. Bandits were run at 75/70/65 back.

For first time board users, they did a fantastic job and within two hours were working like a well-oiled machine.  The bite was not fast and furious, but it was a nice steady bite, and kept the morning interesting.

I lost one Chrome Barbie though, when it got caught on the prop (my bad), so if you find one out there....keep's a good one. ;)

We caught our 18 walleye by 10:15, and they decided to get to the fish cleaners and head home, since they live about 2 1/2 hours from Port Clinton. 

Mark and David both said that it was the best day of fishing they've ever had, and that makes me happy. 

I said my goodbyes and headed home to cut the grass, plant some flowers and veggies, walk Dexter, and get some food in me.  My friend, Jenn, helped me with the gardens, brought her dogs to walk and play with Dexter, and split a pizza with me, for which I'm thankful for! Thanks Jenn! :)

I had a 2-Day trip scheduled for tomorrow and Friday, but have rescheduled them, due to weather, and my Saturday and Sunday guys rescheduled, due to complications with the virus and traveling here.  So, right now, I'm watching the weather forecast for another 2-Day trip scheduled for Monday and Tuesday. We shall see....

Stay tuned....

Capt Juls

Comments (0)

Leave a comment