Fishing with Bob and Bruce 10/7-8-9/2021
by Capt Juls on 10/11/21
I had a three day perch trip with brothers Bob and Bruce from Michigan. They've been perch fishing with me every fall, for the past 5 or 6 years now, and always book 4 days, hoping to get all their days in. Normally, we've been able to get them all in, but this year the wind kept us off the lake for the first two days they had booked. Luckily, I had the day after their trip scheduled as a day off, so we used that one to get a third day in, so losing only one day wasn't so bad. :)
The first day (7th) we struggled to find them. We launched out of the Portage River and searched all over the area west of Catawba to the cans, and hit 5 or 6 spots, but never got into them. We ended the day with only 15 perch.
Day two (8th), while I was at A&J's bait shop waiting on them to open, so I could get some Emerald Shiners, I was given some info that there were a lot of perch up by D can, so we launched out of Catawba and headed there first. The Humminbird showed some decent marks, so I set the Spot Lock on the Ulterra and we stayed put in one spot for the next 5 hours. We caught 75 nice perch there, and when the bite died, we opted to check a spot on our way back to the ramp. We stopped off at F can to see if we could pick up a few more, but it was slow there too, and we only caught 4 more.
Day 3 (9th)...
We headed straight back to D can and set up once again, and enjoyed a beautiful day on the water. The weather was perfect, and the fish were slow to start biting, but then started biting pretty steady. They would come and go in flows, so the trick was to stay put and not get to impatient when it slowed down again. We kept 88 nice perch and threw back about half that number in little perch, little baby walleye, and white perch. We did catch one 20 inch walleye, that Bruce was excited to keep for a dinner too.
The brothers enjoyed their three days of perch'n, even with the very slow day one. Time spent together, fishing, was the most important thing to them, but catching some Lake Erie "Gold" was the icing on the cake for these two. :)
My trips for Monday and Tuesday have been rescheduled. I had to make the call yesterday, for two gents who were driving in from 6 hours away, and it was showing gusty winds for Monday, so they cancelled given that info. My Tuesday trip has been rescheduled to the 25th. My next trip is Friday, if the winds allow.