Fishing with Dean and Bruce Day Two 5/23/2020 : Juls WFA Blog
 Call Capt Juls: 419-835-7347
Juls Walleye Fishing Adventures
Lake Erie Walleye-Perch Fishing Charters-Running 7 days a week!
HomeYour CaptainRatesWeatherPhotosRecipesContact BlogVideosReviews
6-Pack Charters & Hotels

Insert text here.

Fishing with Dean and Bruce Day Two 5/23/2020

by Capt Juls on 05/23/20

Woke up at 3am, and looked out the back door to check the weather. The fog was thick and it felt like it was in the mid 50's. Well, it is what it is. I don't necessarily like fishing in the fog, as the danger level rises, but it's doable when caution is observed.

This morning, I met Dean and Bruce at Mazurik's at 5:30 and launched as soon as a lane at the ramp became available. We headed back to the last spot we fished yesterday and set the Bandits out 60-70 back at a speed of 1.8mph.  Colors were (2) Glare, Green Clown, and (2) of a color I just picked up at Fisherman's Wharf...I think it's a JT Custom Bandit, but I can't find the color on the internet and I bought the only two they had. It's blueish with a bit of white and black splotches with an orange belly, and a gold splattering of vertical strips all over it. It's one of those Custom colors that I would usually say, "That one will catch more fishermen than fish". I fell for it myself, and I'm glad I did, because it's a fish catching color. lol

We started catching right away and on the third fish, I decided at the last second not to use the net, because it was only 17-18" fish, and swing it in. Well, just as I was going in for the hold, it decided it was going to give one last attempt at freedom and stuck a treble hook in my thumb....ugh.

With another fish hanging out there behind an Off Shore board, I asked Dean to take the fish off the hooks, and had Bruce grab the cutters out of the glove box. Then, Bruce snipped that part of the treble that was sticking in my thumb, so I could keep fishing if I couldn't yank it out. With one attempt at yanking it, I decided to just leave it and deal with it later.  It wasn't long after that we had all the rods in the boat and 6 fish in the box.

We had our three person limit by 8:15 and, because of the horrendous Midge hatch, no wind, and all the thick fog, we decided to head in, so they could get some breakfast and get the fish cleaned before heading back home.

I called my friend, who's a doctor and told him what happened. He told me to go meet him at his office and he would yank it for me. He gave my thumb a shot and froze it, so I wouldn't feel it getting pulled out. Luckily he had enough of the shank to get a good grip and it pulled out more easily than he thought it would.  It actually hurts more now that it's out than when the hook was in there.  I think I'll use the net from now on. lol

Tomorrow, I'll be fishing a new area, because it's time to go find new fish. That's part of the fun of fishing. Using my Helix to locate them... away from everyone, and then getting them in the boat. 
With that said, I would just like to remind (and, I don't mean this to be harsh)....don't expect me to always give you the location, because that's not always going to happen. I'd like to think that these blogs have helped you become better anglers and have given you the confidence to go out there and put the work in to locate them yourselves too.  It's a great feeling when you can do that.  There are fish just about everywhere right now, and will be for the next few months, so just go out...use your electronics to find some, check your Precision Trolling App for the depth and set up. 
I will continue to give you the program that is working each day though.
I hope you understand. :)

Tomorrow, I am fishing with a father and Son team, and will be launching at Mazurik's at 5:30 again.  The weather forecast is calling for scattered showers and thunderstorms in the morning, but it's only a 30% chance, so I like our chances.

Stay tuned....

Capt Juls

Comments (0)

Leave a comment